The rate that skills level up are based on your vocation,
- Axe, sword, club and fist fighting are trained faster by knights, paladins way slower and mages even slower, for some reason druids train faster than sorcerers, no vocations are similar to mages.
- Distance fighting is trained faster by paladins, couldn't find any data about other vocations.
- Shielding is trained at the same rate for knights and paladins, and slower by mages, no vocation characters train maybe at the same rate as mages.
- Magic level is trained faster by mages, followed by paladins and then knights (the rate for no vocation is unknown).
- Fishing is the only skill that level up at the same rate for all vocations, even characters with no vocation, the top fishing is actually a rookstayer.
Hope I helped ^^